Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Homework 1/18/11 - Freezing Water Activity

For this activity I froze three different things.
I froze two cups of water- one with salt and one without and then I froze a water bottle also.

1. How much does water expand when frozen?
In this case I saw some pretty interesting changes. For the glass of water without salt, when frozen it rose 1/2 a centimiter and for the bottle of water when I filled it I filled it almost to the top-- when it froze it froze right up to the cap.
The technical answer for this question is that water expands about 10% when it freezes.

2. When is water the smallest?
Water is the smallest when it is warm- it expands when it is cold.

3. What happens when salt is added to the water?
When I added salt to the cup of water and froze it I checked up on it before it was completely frozen and I noticed there was less water in there before! This startled me- but now that it is fully frozen the water shrank a little bit less than 1/2 centimeters.

4. Does the amount of salt added affect the freezing temperature?
I definetly believe this does. When I stuck the other cup in the freezer to freeze, I looked and in two hours it was completely frozen and with the salt water cup I looked probably after an hour and half and there was some ice but I could have easily broken the ice. And now that I have taken both cups out the salt water one is still not completely frozen and it's been hours! There is some water on the top- Surprising!

No comments:

Post a Comment