Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Something I have learned & how I learned it

One thing that I have learned over the past how many years is how to snowmobile. I was probably 13 or so when I first learned how to do this. My dad was the one who taught me. He first showed me the important buttons on the snowmobile so I was aware of what and where they were. For example, he showed me how to turn on and off the lights and the choke and stop button. He showed me where the gas was and the brake. Because I have driven four wheelers before and cars, he didn't have to tell me how to run the machine because I was already familiar with that portion. He then showed me how to start it... electric start or pull start... I know how to do both, but I am not strong enough to pull start it. Once I got it started, he let me drive it around for a little bit and when I came back he showed me how to turn it off correctly. As I kept riding long enough, I would learn things along the way like where the hand warmers were.
In this instance, I learned by doing and I learned from memory, because I was already familiar with how to drive other machinery and recreational automobiles.
There are many different types of learning - but hands on learning is very educational and works best when learning how to drive something. It also works best with children- so this is a good understanding of how children learn also.

No comments:

Post a Comment